Saturday, May 14, 2005

Ethel

We have a new addition to the ever growing family!
It seems that at some point during the spring, a little bird decided to make her home for the year above our porch light. She has a lovely little nest and she seems quite content. Seeing as she already has settled down for the season, we decided to let her stay for the year.
No need displacing her this late in the season. I'm not sure what kind of bird she is, she's not a petite girl. Definitely too big for a songbird.....

I've decided to name her Ethel.
Over the past couple weeks she's been sticking much closer to home and rarely leaving her nest. I wonder if she already has eggs up there? I have no clue how long these things take.
But all in all, she's a quiet addition to the clan. Quite content to sit up there and watch all the going on's around here. You can tell she's a city girl. Doesn't flinch or even fly away with all the hustle and bustle on the front porch. Whenever the door slams she just twists her head and looks disdainfully down upon me as if to say, "Excuse me, you're disturbing my nap time!"

Welcome Ethel, Enjoy your stay.....
Let's just not make this an annual thing.

1 Comments:

At June 13, 2005 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As best as I can tell from the photo, it appears that Ethel is a Mourning Dove. They mate for life, and are rather romantic as they coo a lot. :-)

Hope that helps. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home