Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My momma always said…

When I was growing up my mom always said, "Friends are family you pick for yourself." I always believed her…but until the last year and half that statement didn’t have the depth of meaning that it does now. In these trying months the support of friends and family has been amazing.

The blog that dear friends of ours have put together for us is beyond words. It's an incredible resource for us and yet another way friends have put their heart and souls into helping us navigate the insanity of our life with cancer. If you haven't seen it yet...it's titled:
Lend a Hand to the Fisher Hewett's: A place to find specific ways to help Dave, Skye and Alec as they kick brain cancer's ass.
I love the title! I can't believe the amount of time that went into creating this for us. It's remarkable and If anyone wants to check it out, it's at http://fisherhewetthelp.blogspot.com

The kindness, generosity and love that you all have given us has been astounding. I’m not just talking about the gift cards, food and financial support…which in itself have been absolutely staggering. But the incredible support we have received emotionally is precious and I will never be able to express to each of you how much of a difference you have made in our lives. Many of you have been there at all hours of the day, dropped everything to be with me during yet another surgery, you’ve called with support and listened as I cried, you’ve given me hope in those days where I felt the world was covered in shadows and you’ve run errands and basically helped me keep our life together.

Even when I was unable to express what I needed or even look beyond the moment…somehow you guys were able to figure it out and give us what we needed most. These days have been some of darkest of my life, but you guys have been there…standing with us in the darkness and holding a candle. Reminding us that there is always light and we are never alone. And that my friends is something that I will carry with me always.

I don’t know how we would have survived thus far without all of this support. I look at so many people around here and how so many are alone…and then you wonder why people’s survival rates are so low. Some things you just can’t do alone.

So this is a thank you to all of you. You guys know who you are. So many of you have sent emails full of kind words and prayers. And I thank you all. Although I haven’t gotten a chance to respond to many of you…I love the emails and your kind words carry me though these crazy days. So, please know that although I may not have time right now to get back to each of you. I thank you and am grateful to have all of you in our lives…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home