Thursday, August 18, 2005

Unnerved

I just wish the worry would end. I know I will always worry about the little guy…but I want to worry about bumped knees or staying out too late. Not all this crazy medical stuff.

Alec went to the Neurologist today. The good news is that his brain seems fine. So, now we have determined that his brain is fine, his heart is great, and he’s developing well. The Neurologist pointed out his head tilt. Ah yes…the head tilt. If I haven’t mentioned this before…this has been a topic of discussion amongst all the doctors. It’s really nothing too big, it just means that the little guy found himself a nice, cozy spot in my womb and hunkered down. So his head was probably at an angle for a long time and when he was born one side of his neck muscles were a bit tighter than the other side, so his head has a slight tilt. The pediatrician pointed this out when he was first born and we’ve been doing head exercises off and on ever since. She wasn’t too concerned and said that once he begins sitting up on his own, the muscles will all develop and it will probably go away. Well, it hasn’t. And this still isn’t much of a big deal. We’ve had the cardiologist, the dermatologist, and now the neurologist…not to mention a teacher at his play center and a friend who works with children comment on this little lilt.

We never worried too much about it, it’s just a nuisance. But now, since it’s still not gone and its obviously quite apparent to people in childcare…we will have to begin physical therapy. I have no clue how often it will be or how much it will cost, but I’ve been told by someone whose friend had to have her child go though PT for the same reason that it’s not bad and doesn’t take too long to remedy.

But the other thing the Neurologist said, which has me in a bit of a tizzy is that he might…and I mean might in the most remotest terms…have something (which Dave at the moment can’t remember what it’s called) but something where one side of his body grows faster than the other side. Mind you this is so minute…that neither Dave nor I can see it but both the Neurologist and his nurse can. This could possibly be because of a tumor (which could also be related to the whole “Amazing Tomato Act.”) LOVELY. But don’t panic yet…as I am trying not to. Because it could just be how he is developing and could very well be nothing since this is a very rare thing. But I’m a bit stressed even at the prospect of it. I’m unsure what the next course of action is. The Neurologist isn’t too concerned. And I probably shouldn’t be as well...but I’m so tired of hearing about all these possible horrible scenarios. So, we’ll see what our pediatrician says and they may just keep an eye on this and see if it becomes more pronounced or goes away. All I know is…I want my baby to be healthy.

2 Comments:

At August 18, 2005 1:31 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

(((((((((((you)))))))))))))

So sorry you are all having to go through this. We're sending ridiculous amounts of good energy your way. If there's anything we can do, please let us know.

And, if you need to "get away" for an hour or two, call me! Shopping, working out, dinner, whatever.

love you!

 
At August 22, 2005 9:10 PM, Blogger Cathie said...

thinking of all of you guys :) Sorry to you are going though this and hope all is well really soon. Give me a call if you can honey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home